Open Society believes in the importance of a free and independent media to underpin democratic society and debate. Since 1995, the Soros Economic Development Fund has invested in critical media companies to foster their growth and safeguard their editorial independence.
- Support a diverse and balanced distribution of established and alternative media outlets
- Invest in new technologies that support media autonomy and factual accuracy
- Strengthen independent media outlets
- Blockchain-based media platforms
- Television broadcasting
- News media and publishing
- Internet-based media
All investments are aligned with Open Society’s goal of supporting free and independent media.